Ashland Theological Seminary Forms Partnership with St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute

Ashland Theological Seminary Forms Partnership with St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute
Dr. Matt Bevere (at right), associate dean for Ashland Theological Seminary’s D.Min. Program, poses in front of an ATS display board next to Dr. Brent Laytham, professor of Theology and dean of The Ecumenical Institute of Theology at St. Mary’s Seminary & University in Baltimore.

4/29/2016 ASHLAND, Ohio – Ashland Theological Seminary, a division of Ashland University, has signed a partnership agreement with the Ecumenical Institute of St. Mary’s Seminary & University in Baltimore, Md., that will allow St. Mary’s students to take Doctor of Ministry degree coursework through Ashland Seminary.

According to the partnership agreement, St. Mary’s students will take pre-Doctor of Ministry courses and approximately 40 percent of their Doctor of Ministry coursework at St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute, while taking the remaining 60 percent of their courses and their final Doctor of Ministry project through Ashland Theological Seminary.

The Ashland Seminary will confer the Doctor of Ministry Degree following the completion of all coursework.

“For years, some of our best faculty and many of our brightest graduates have asked St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute to offer a Doctor of Ministry program,” said the Rev. Brent Laytham, Ph.D., professor of Theology and dean of The Ecumenical Institute of Theology. “Now we can offer D. Min. access that partners our strengths with an existing program’s advantages. Students can take half their coursework with our exceptional faculty teams, ecumenical student body, and accessible class schedule, then finish in Ashland’s vibrant, established program with faculty and student colleagues from around the country.”

Dr. Matt Bevere, associate dean for the Doctor of Ministry program at Ashland Theological Seminary, noted that leaders at both institutions are very excited about this partnership.

“Ashland Seminary is pleased to partner with St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute in expanding our Doctor of Ministry program. Such a partnership will serve to deepen the experience of our students and faculty as we engage with the students and faculty from the Ecumenical Institute. This partnership holds much promise for the enrichment of all,” Bevere said.

Students from the Ecumenical Institute will begin taking Pre-Doctor of Ministry courses for this partnership in the fall of 2016. 

St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute was founded in 1968 by St. Mary’s Seminary & University, America’s oldest Roman Catholic seminary, in cooperation with ecumenical leaders. St. Mary’s, located in Baltimore, Md., is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools and by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. St. Mary’s Ecumenical Institute encourages people of all denominations to explore theological studies in a serious, open-minded and supportive environment.

Ashland Theological Seminary is a graduate division of Ashland University. With campuses in Ashland, Detroit, Cleveland and Columbus, Ashland Theological Seminary integrates theological education with Christ-centered transformation as it equips men and women for ministry in the church and the world. 
                                                                             ###

Upcoming Events

Dec
15

Winter Commencement 2018

Dec
15

Men's Basketball at Home

Dec
17

Women's Basketball at Home

PR Office Contact

Steve Hannan
Director of Public Relations
shannan@ashland.edu
office: 419 289 5007
mobile: 419 651 1326