2/19/13 ASHLAND, Ohio – Ashland University has received a $3,000 grant from the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges (OFIC) to fund a Diversity Inclusion Forum Series on campus. Ashland was one of just four Ohio institutions to receive the OFIC award.
Ashland University’s Diversity Inclusion Forum Series is a new program led by the Office of Multicultural Student Services. The series will include comprehensive involvement from other key campus offices including First Year Programming, Disability Services, International Student Services and the Center for Academic Support.
The series will consist of monthly forums, seven in total, centered on student challenges pertaining to the following topics:
- Race & Privilege in September 2013
- Foster Care in October 2013
- Gender Roles in November 2013
- International Study in January 2014
- Socioeconomic Status in February 2014
- Veteran Transitions in March 1014
- Student Disabilities in April 2014
“Each panel will include volunteer students who self-identify with the topic of the forum as well as a key speaker or moderator on each topic,” said Jonathon Locust, director of multicultural student services. “The funds we receive will be used as fee support for speakers and programming around these topics as well as food and refreshments for the students in attendance.”
Locust said with this new program the office aims to:
• Uncover student needs and offer new support through the office
• Engage in intellectual dialogue discussing topics of diversity and inclusion
• Give students the opportunity to discuss, learn about and understand other perspectives
The funds were secured with the assistance of the Office of Development’s new University Grants & Sponsored Programs Office, which is led by Ashley-Renee Honnold, director of the office.
Ashland University, ranked in the top 200 colleges and universities in U.S. News and World Report’s National Universities category for 2013, is a mid-sized, private university conveniently located a short distance from Akron, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) values the individual student and offers a unique educational experience that combines the challenge of strong, applied academic programs with a faculty and staff who build nurturing relationships with their students.