11/1/13 ASHLAND, Ohio – This past Saturday, Oct. 26, AU GIVS, the community service organization at the University carried out their “Make a Difference Day” consisting of volunteer events both on campus and in the community.
A total of 40 Ashland University students showed up to lend a hand with the five different events scheduled as part of the University’s “Make a Difference Day.” The involvement opportunities included:
- Sweets for Service Men and Women, where students made and decorated cookies for Ashland firefighters and police officers.
- Tidying up Taft Elementary School, where students planted flowers and did landscaping at the school.
- Project Linus and Pop Tab Bracelets, where students made fleece blankets and pop tab jewelry for sick children.
- Holiday Mail for Heroes, where students made Christmas cards for the troops serving overseas.
- Tackle Toiletries, where students collected and sorted toiletry drive items that will be sent to the Kroc Center.
For more information regarding upcoming service opportunities, students are invited to visit the Student Life office, located on the second floor of the Student Center; or go online to http://www1.ashland.edu/student-affairs/getting-involved/community-service
Ashland University, ranked in the top 200 colleges and universities in U.S. News and World Report’s National Universities category for 2013, is a mid-sized, private university conveniently located a short distance from Akron, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) values the individual student and offers a unique educational experience that combines the challenge of strong, applied academic programs with a faculty and staff who build nurturing relationships with their students. ###