12/4/18 ASHLAND, Ohio – The Ashland University Department of Theatre has scheduled its 10-Minute Play Festival, which will be held Monday, Dec. 10, at 7:30 p.m. in the Elizabeth Pastor Recital Hall located in the Center for the Arts on the AU campus.
The Festival will include performances of eight 10-minute plays directed by students enrolled in the theatre directing class taught be Robert Sean Parker, assistant professor of Theatre. The performances are free and open to the public. Audiences are advised that some plays contain strong language and adult situations. Also, due to the venue's layout, patrons are asked to remain seated for the entire run of the eight plays.
With a diverse mix of funny, serious and thought-provoking plays, the directors, their selected scripts and casts are as follows:
- Drew Berlin directs Johanna Skoreyko's The Battle of Image vs. Girl where a girl struggles with anorexia and mirrors. Cast: Macy Campbell as The Girl; Gabriella Carr as The Mirror
- Ivey Jean Buffenmyer directs The Craft by Andrew Biss. Despite a mutual loathing of each other, a devotion to the craft ensures that the show will go on; but the inner dialogues that play out inside each of the actors reveal a far different narrative than the one being performed on the stage. Cast: Tristan Peterman as Actor 1; Macy Campbell as Actor 2
- Nik Demers directs The Curious Art of Critique by Andrew Biss, When public reaction to his work on a new drama appears tepid at best, the director decides he must tackle the problem head-on and root out whatever it is that’s leaving the audience unmoved. Cast: Tristan Peterman as Art; Ethan Tingler as James; Annmarie Hill as Stephanie
- Holly Fongheiser directs St. Peter’s Question by Holly Hepp-Galvan. In order to enter Heaven (and avoid that other place) you have to answer one question and one question only. However as poor Cameron finds out, it is the hardest question of all. Cast: Nik Demers as St. Peter; Tristan Peterman as Cameron; Mia Kardotzke as Mary
- Zackary Hamilton directs Know Your Audience by Mathew Bowling. A young writer and his agent walk into a theatre producer's office to close the deal. Cast: Ethan Tingler as Burt; Kathleen Thompson Parker as Dorham; Mia Kardotzke as Leo
- Kathleen Thompson Parker directs Door to Door by Holly Hepp-Galvan. A young man enters the suburban home of a tired woman and offers a piece of the sun. Cast: Chelle Hannah Frye as Woman; Nik Demers as Young Man
- Maya Rickard directs Angst by Mattie Roquel Rydalch. A teenage girl in the bathroom attempts to escape anxiety from her over concerned father. Cast: Chelle Hannah Frye as Patricia; Zachary Hamilton as Tim
- Alejandro Ridolfi directs the "Fire is Bad" scene from Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead by Bert B. Royal. CB meets his childhood friend and nemesis in a mental ward and the tables are turned when Van's sister declares 'the Doctor is in.' Cast: Nik Demers as CB; Ivey Buffenmyer as Van's Sister
Ashland University, ranked in the top tier of colleges and universities in U.S. News and World Report’s National Universities category for 2018, is a mid-sized, comprehensive private university conveniently located a short distance from Akron, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Religiously affiliated with the Brethren Church, Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) deeply values the individual student and offers a unique educational experience that combines the challenge of strong, applied academic programs with a faculty and staff who build nurturing relationships with their students. ###